Wheelchair-Bound Woman Rescued in Florida House Fire

The call came from the 63-year-old homeowner, who is confined to a wheelchair. She reported her bedroom was on fire and she was unable to get out.
(Hernando County Fire & Emergency Services photo, Facebook)

Brownsville woman in burning bedroom

FirefighterNation Staff

HERNANDO COUNTY, Florida – WFLA reports that firefighters rescued a Brownsville woman trapped in her burning bedroom Thursday morning.

Hernando County Fire Rescue and Emergency Services and the Brooksville Fire Department responded to a fire in the 800 block of St. Francis Street at approximately 2:00 a.m. received a call just before 2 a.m.

The call came from the 63-year-old homeowner, who is confined to a wheelchair. She reported her bedroom was on fire and she was unable to get out.

Hernando County deputies arrived ahead of the fire department and were able to rescue the woman.

Deputies also saved two dogs.

Officials say the first firefighters within three minutes. The fire was brought under control within 15 minutes.

The fire was caused by a cigarette near the homeowner’s oxygen cannula, which caught the bedsheets on fire.

No posts to display