Rescues at Maryland Apartment Fire

Firefighters rescue four people in a District Heights apartment fire.
(Prince George’s County Fire and EMS Department photo)

Knocked over candle causes District Heights fire

Kristen Schneider, ABC7/WJLA with permission

PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY, Md. (WJLA) – A candle knocked over by a child caused an apartment fire that forced numerous residents to evacuate, according to Prince George’s County officials.

The Prince George’s County Fire and EMS Department said the fire started just before 7 p.m. When crews arrived to the 6500 block of Hil Mar Drive, they saw flames showing from the top floor.

Crews rescued four residents from the stairwells.

A follow-up post from the department said one resident was checked out at the scene, but no one was taken to the hospital. A preliminary investigation showed a child accidentally knocked over a candle, causing the fire.

The American Red Cross is helping people from 14 apartments find a place to stay.

Damages are estimated to cost around $100,000.

No posts to display