Sources say Carlon and gunman had dispute over
how fire station was run
Richard Winton, Hayley Smith and Lila Seidman, Los Angeles Times
LOS ANGELES – Fire officials and the community mourned the killing of a Los Angeles County firefighter at a station in Agua Dulce on Tuesday as investigators searched for answers in an attack that left a fire captain wounded and the gunman, also a firefighter, dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Multiple sources identified the firefighter killed at the station as Tory Carlon, 44.
The attacker opened fire at Station 81 around 10:50 a.m., killing Carlon and wounding the captain, who tried to intercede and whose name has not been released. The gunman then drove to his own home in Acton, where he was found dead after apparently setting fire to his home, which was destroyed.
Shooting at Los Angeles County Fire Station, One Firefighter Dead
Press Conference: Los Angeles County Fire Station Shooting
Photo Gallery: California Fire Station Shooting & House Fire
Statement from General President Edward A. Kelly on L.A. County Fire Station Shooting
Motive Currently Unclear in Fatal California Fire Station Shooting
Audio: California Fire Station Shooting, House Fire
Authorities have not identified the gunman or a motive for the attack.
But two sources with knowledge of the situation told the Los Angeles Times there was an ongoing dispute between Carlon and the shooter, who worked different shifts but lived in the same area.
The argument, believed to be about how the station was run and maintained, escalated Tuesday morning, the sources said.
The sources said the gunman and victim had argued in the past about various issues at the station.
Los Angeles County Fire Department Chief Daryl L. Osby, who has worked at Station 81, called it a “small, hometown-type fire station – very quiet, very quaint.”
“Generally speaking, the people on that shift would have a good working relationship,” he told the LA Times. “Obviously something went wrong with that relationship today.”
Hundreds of firefighters and community members attended a vigil Tuesday night.
“When it comes to being a father, when it comes to being a fireman, when it comes to being a mentor, there was nobody that could parallel that,” one participant said of Carlon, who was married and had three daughters.
Osby described Carlon as “truly dedicated, one of our better firefighters, amazing, and a true loss to our department.”
“My heart is with our firefighters and the families of those affected,” LA County Supervisor Kathryn Barger said on Twitter.
Calling it a “heinous act of violence,” Supervisor Janice Hahn said firefighters risk their lives at work every day.
“Between emergency calls, the fire station must have felt like their safe haven,” she said. “Unfortunately that sense of safety has now been shattered.”
The fire captain, age 54, was taken to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds, where he remained in critical condition Wednesday morning.
After the attack, the gunman fled to his home about 10 miles away, where he barricaded himself in and apparently set the house on fire.
LA County sheriff’s deputies were unable to enter because of the flames, and fire crews had no way of knowing whether the man inside was armed as they attempted to battle the blaze.
By 3 p.m., the 3,600-square-foot home had been reduced to near rubble. The suspected gunman was found dead in a small pool on the property, according to sheriff’s officials.
(c)2021 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.