NEW HAVEN – A worker died after falling 40 feet into a large chimney at Yale University’s Central Power Plant Saturday morning, according to the New Haven Fire Department.
The man was trapped for about an hour inside the chimney while the Fire Department worked to break in from the outside of the chimney at the power plant off Grove Street.
Fire Operations Chief Matthew Marcarelli said the 55-year-old male fell from a ladder inside the chimney just after 10:20 a.m.
Marcarelli earlier had said the man was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital in “extremely critical” condition, but would not describe the nature of the injuries.
When New Haven firefighters arrived on scene, Marcarelli said the workers moved quickly to breach the side of the chimney to extricate the injured man. It took the crews about an hour to remove him.
The male worker was doing repair work Saturday for International Chimney inside the smokestack, which was not in operation, when he fell. Marcarelli said the man was wearing a harness. Another employee for International Chimney climbed down the ladder to perform emergency medical care while the Fire Department worked to break through the exterior wall.
Police Officer David Hartman said the accident was being investigated by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration.
In a statement, Karen Peart, deputy press secretary for Yale, said, “Yale extends its deepest condolences to the worker’s family, friends and co-workers. The university is providing support and counseling to anyone at Yale who has been affected by this sad news. We will provide more information as it becomes available. An investigation of the incident is ongoing. Power to campus buildings was not affected.”