Large fire involving several chemicals in St. Louis County
Taylor Tiamoyo Harris, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Apr. 30—AFFTON — A firefighter was injured Thursday after a large chemical fire that led to evacuations in south St. Louis County.
The firefighter was taken to a hospital after overheating, said Lt. Matt Coppin of the Metro West Fire Protection District. His injuries are not life-threatening.
The fire began about 2:30 p.m. at Manor Chemical Company, 6901 Heege Road, near Marlborough. It was under control about 2 1/2 hours later.
Everyone within a half-mile of the scene was evacuated.
Manor Chemical Co., founded in 1972, provides chemicals to automotive aftermarket companies, dry cleaners, paint and coating companies and industrial manufacturers. The company’s building is a total loss, said Affton fire Chief Nickolas Fahs.
Drone technology played a major role in fighting the fire, Fahs said.
Up to 10 chemicals may have been involved in the blaze, Coppin said earlier Thursday. Thirteen agencies responded to the scene.
The Red Cross provided assistance to evacuees at Affton Elks Lodge, 6330 Heege Road.
The Affton School District sent an alert saying students were being held in school beyond their dismissal time. Buses began loading students around 4:45 p.m.
(c)2021 the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Visit the St. Louis Post-Dispatch at www.stltoday.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.