Fire involves battery and tire storage
at Harrodsburg Walmart
Jeremy Chisenhall, Lexington Herald-Leader
Mar. 5–Thick black smoke billowed outside the Walmart in Harrodsburg Friday morning as a storage cage on the outside of the building caught fire, forcing evacuation.
The Harrodsburg Fire Department later confirmed that the fire was contained to a battery and tire storage cage and didn’t extend into the building. No civilians were injured, but one firefighter did sustain a minor injury that didn’t require medical treatment, according to the fire department.
The Walmart was temporarily closed as a result of the fire, which started around 9:40 a.m., according to the fire department.
Social media posts from people in the area showed significant amounts of smoke rising above the building.
Cody Miller, a Harrodsburg resident, said he was pulling up near the building when he noticed the smoke. It appeared to have started near the tire and automotive center, he said.
“We saw about 2 fire trucks and 2 ambulances arrive out here but they had it under control in about 30 minutes,” Miller told the Herald-Leader.
Sheila Kendrick Scott also posted a photo of the smoke and said she was inside when the fire started. She said in a comment that it appeared as though everyone got out safely.
(c)2021 the Lexington Herald-Leader (Lexington, Ky.)
Visit the Lexington Herald-Leader (Lexington, Ky.) at www.kentucky.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.