Hitting it with the can
On May 30th, 2021 at 6:40 p.m., Fire District #1 Of Johnson County, KS was dispatched for an Automatic Alarm on a Residence in the 700 block of S. Cedar St. in Gardner, KS. Call notes indicated that the alarm company had called this incident in stating smoke alarms were going off.
The crew that was initially dispatched arrived on the scene of the home to no smoke or fire showing from the outside and that the home was not evacuated as nobody was home at the time. While the crew was walking up to the front door of the home, smoke alarms were heard sounding and an odor of smoke was noticed. Once the front door was opened, the crew was met with smoke and eventually fire which was located in the kitchen area. This Incident was then changed to a House Fire which added additional resources.
The fire was put out quickly with an extinguisher before the fire had spread any further. The cause of the fire is accidental in nature. The homeowners arrived on the scene just shortly after the initial crew’s arrival and reported there were three cats inside the home but nobody else was inside. All three cats were located with no injuries. Nobody was injured by the fire.
The homeowners gave us permission to share this footage with you to help remind others of the importance of making sure you have working smoke alarms that are no older than 10 years old, are tested monthly, and have new batteries in them.
We would like to thank Johnson County Med-Act and Johnson County ECC for their on-scene assistance. We would also like to thank Fire District #2 Of Johnson County, KS for providing coverage for one of our Stations during the Incident.