Two fires ravage Hotel Mount Pearl
Noble41 – Hotel Mount Pearl, on Park Ave, has been completely destroyed by fire, the second in three days at the business.
Fire crews were alerted to the fire by an area resident shortly after 5:00 am. The resident told VOCM News he was awake and smelled smoke. Upon investigation he discovered fire coming from the roof of the Hotel.
When firefighters arrived on scene a short time later they were met with heavy fire and smoke, and immediately approached the blaze defensively. Acting Platoon Chief Roger Hounsell, with the St. John’s Regional Fire Department, stated that given the heavy fire conditions inside the building upon their arrival it would have been unsafe to send firefighters inside.
Instead they set up several master streams from fire engines and one aerial ladder truck, along with several attack lines to pour thousands of gallons of water on the blaze. Crews also had to set up a curtain of water near four propane tanks on the west side of the building to ensure they stayed cool.
Firefighters battled the fire well into the morning, but were unable to prevent its spread to the rest of the building. In just over three hours, the fire had at least partially destroyed the entire structure. Smoke from the fire could be seen for several kilometres, with residents as far away as Kenmount Terrace stating they found the smoke bothersome.
Crews with the City of Mount Pearl were summoned to spread salt around the street and parking lot of the Hotel, as a thick later of ice was forming. Salvation Army Emergency Services arrived on scene shortly after 8:00 to assist firefighters.