Firefighting, News, Rescue

San Antonio Firefighters Rescue Man in Burning Apartment

One man had to be rescued from his burning home after a cigarette sparked a fire at a Northeast Side apartment. (Houston Chronicle/Ken Branca photo)

Victim was smoking while using oxygen

Taylor Pettaway, Houston Chronicle, with permission

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Houston Chronicle) – San Antonio firefighters rescued an elderly man from a burning Northeast Side apartment that caught fire while he was smoking a cigarette, the San Antonio Fire Department said.

The man was smoking just before 3 a.m. at his residence in the 100 block of Andrews Street while using his oxygen tank, which ignited the fire, officials at the scene said.

When crews made entry, they found a recliner and the surrounding walls on fire, but were able to get the man out of the apartment safely and put out the fire quickly, SAFD spokesman Woody Woodward.

The man was transported to the hospital. His condition is unknown.