BENTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a 19-year-old who apparently fell asleep on the couch in her Berrien County apartment has died in an early morning fire.
Firefighters were called to the apartment building just before 5 a.m. Saturday and found fire in the apartment's living room.
Benton Township fire Lt. Russell Perry tells WSBT-TV (http://bit.ly/A5l62R  ) the woman worked a late shift, came home, lit some candles and fell asleep on the couch.
He says a candle apparently tipped over, catching the living room on fire.
The woman was taken to Lakeland Medical Center in St. Joseph, where she was pronounced dead.
The state fire marshal is expected to inspect the apartment later Saturday.
Perry says no other apartments were damaged.
Officials haven't yet released the victim's name.
Comment Now: Post Your Thoughts & Comments on This Story