NEWARK, N.J. - Newark fire officials say three men were seriously burned in a flash fire at a city boarding house that apparently was caused by a leaking gas pipe.
Two of the victims _ a 69-year-old security guard and a 63-year-old resident who also serves as a maintenance man at the three-story, 25-unit residence _ were trying to determine the source of a gas odor in a bathroom when the fire occurred around 6:45 p.m. Monday. A lighter being used by the resident apparently sparked the fire.
The other resident happened to be in the bathroom when the fire occurred. All three victims sustained second-degree burns and were taken to St. Barnabas Burn Center in Livingston, where they remained Tuesday.
Comment Now: Post Your Thoughts & Comments on This Story