FORT WAYNE, Ind.— Fire officials in Fort Wayne say a couple whose home caught on fire dropped their young children out a second-floor window into the arms of people outside, then jumped from the window themselves.
Assistant Fire Chief Michael Miller says 23-year-old Natalie Church, 34-year-old Christopher Dunning and their children ages 4 months and 1½ went to a hospital in stable condition.
The fire was discovered about 7 a.m. Thursday after smoke detectors awoke the couple. It was caused by a malfunction in the power cord of a window air conditioning unit on the first floor.
Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly but it caused heavy smoke damage.
Comment Now: Post Your Thoughts & Comments on This Story