SAN RAMON -- A family of seven escaped unharmed Wednesday night after a lit candle sparked a fire in their garage, authorities said.
San Ramon Valley Fire District crews needed only a single hose to put out the fire in the 100 block of Avalon Court. Crews were called to the scene at 9:29 p.m. and were able to keep the fire from damaging any other part of the house, Battalion Chief Jack Burton said.
The seven people home at the time -- two adults and five children -- were alerted by the fire alarm inside the house, and evacuated the home quickly, Burton said.
Investigators were determining whether the family could remain in the home despite the fire, Burton said.
"The rest of the house is fine, but you can run into issues with turning the utilities back on," Burton said. "That's what investigators will look at before making a determination."
A candle that was burning the garage was the source of the blaze, Burton said, though it was not immediately known how the fire began.
Comment Now: Post Your Thoughts & Comments on This Story