Two firefighters were released from the hospital after being treated for first-degree burns suffered when underground equipment near an electrical substation on Yorba Linda Boulevard exploded Sunday night, authorities said Monday.
The incident, which included at least four explosions and knocked out power to 3,385 Southern California Edison customers, occurred near Fairmont Boulevard about 8 p.m.
A captain and a firefighter were injured when they approached the manhole - which had already popped off after at least two explosions - to take a peek inside, police and fire officials said.
"They wanted to get a closer look to see what we had, and that's when there was a third explosion," said Capt. Marc Stone, an Orange County Fire Authority spokesman.
The explosion tossed the two about 10 feet, Stone said. The captain ended up on a hill and the firefighter down the road a bit.
"The firefighter took the brunt of the actual fire coming out of the hole in the explosion," Stone said. "The captain was thrown the farthest."
They were transported to Western Medical Center-Santa Ana to be treated for mild injuries, Stone said. They were released a couple of hours later.
Edison spokesman Paul Klein said power was restored about 10:15 p.m.
OCFA Battalion Chief Jeff Adams said the explosions stopped when Edison staffers turned off all the underground equipment.
Edison crews remained on the scene into Monday morning.
"They are evaluating the damage, and they are going to make repairs as necessary," Klein said.
Authorities were conducting a full investigation of the incident.
Comment Now: Post Your Thoughts & Comments on This Story