The application period for the FY 2011 Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) grants opened today; the deadline of all online grant applicaitons is Friday, April 27, at 5 pm ET.
HOW TO APPLY
For information on how to apply, visit the FP&S Grants Web page on the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) Website. The first step is to read both sections of the FY 2011 FP&S Grants Program Guidance and Application Kit. These two sections describe how to apply for a grant, activities that will be funded, types of organizations that are eligible to receive awards, the evaluation criteria for making awards, and the federal requirements for grantees.
- Section I—FY 2011 FP&S Grants Program Guidance and Application Kit: Application and Review Information. Includes a description of key changes to the FP&S Program since FY 2010.
- Section II—FY 2011 FP&S Grants Program Guidance and Application Kit: Award Administration Information.
Activities Eligible for Fire Prevention and Safety Grants:
- Fire Prevention and Safety Activity: Projects designed to reach high-risk target groups and mitigate the incidence of death and injuries caused by fire and fire-related hazards.
- Firefighter Safety Research and Development Activity: Projects aimed at improving firefighter safety, health and wellness through research and development that reduces firefighter fatalities and injuries.
RESOURCES FOR FP&S APPLICANTS
A number of resources have been developed to help potential applicants plan and submit their FP&S grant applications. The following resources can be downloaded from the FP&S Grants Web page:
- FP&S Grants Get Ready Guide. A short guide to help you kick-start your grant application and identify and address the most important elements of all the grant application questions.
- FP&S Grants Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- FP&S Grant Self-Evaluation Sheet. Based on the application scoring dimensions used by peer reviewers, these tools can help you assess your organization's readiness to apply for a grant and help you plan your grant application.
- FP&S Grant Applicant Tutorial and Narrative Worksheet. The online tutorial helps applicants to learn about the purpose and goals of the FP&S Grants, identify eligible activities and eligible organizations, explain FP&S funding priorities and evaluation criteria, and walk you through the application process.
- Video for FP&S Grant Applicants. Another tool that provides a short overview of the FP&S Grant Program, including highlights of eligible activities.
- AFG Help Desk. If you have questions about the online application, Guidance and Application Kit, or any of the resources, contact the AFG Help Desk by telephone (toll-free at 1-866-274-0960) or by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org.) Help Desk Specialists will be available during the application period, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EDT.
AFG 2012 CALENDAR
Note: All information, including dates and projected application periods are subject to change. When a conference is listed, the AFG Program either will be exhibiting and/or giving a presentation or workshop.
- FY 2011 Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) Grants Application Period: Monday, April 2, 2012, through Friday, April 27, 2012, 5 p.m. EDT.
- AFG Workshop: “Successfully Navigating AFG Grants” at the 2012 Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC), Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis. Visit AFG staff at exhibit booth 308.
- AFG Workshop: “Successfully Navigating AFG Grants”: Thursday, April 19, 2012; 1:30 to 3:15 p.m.
- AFG Town Hall Meeting: Friday, April 20, 2012; 12:30 to 2:15 p.m.
- FY 2011 SAFER Grants Applications
- Status: Applications are being reviewed and evaluated.
- Vision 20/20 Models in Fire Prevention Symposium - May 4-6, 2012, Hyatt Regency Reston, Reston, Virginia
- Workshop: "AFG Grants and the Metro Departments" at the Metropolitan Fire Chiefs Conference 2012, Galt House Hotel, Louisville, KY. - Thursday, May 24, 2012, 9:35 to 10:15 a.m.
- FY 2012 AFG Application Period and SAFER Grant Application Period
- Status: Program Guidance and Application Kit is under development.
- AFG Research and Development Grants Symposium (being held concurrently with Fire–Rescue International) - August 1-2, 2012, Colorado Convention Center, Denver, CO
Comment Now: Post Your Thoughts & Comments on This Story